It’s certainly possible! Even if your parent has made a Will which leaves everything to their children, if your parent had a new partner prior to their death, that new partner could potentially look to contest the Will on the basis that it did not adequately provide for the new partner’s “proper maintenance, education and advancement in life” under the Family Provision Act 1969 (ACT).

Read more about it here:

If you find yourself having to defend a claim or make a claim in relation to a deceased estate, we can help you. Contact our expert wills and estate lawyers for advice.